Alert Systems & Social Media: Most emergency scenerios occur locally. Advanced communications technologies are used by emergency managers locally, statewide, as well as nationally.
- NIXLE: Montgomery Township Police send out emergency texts or emails via Nixle. See messages and sign-up at https://local.nixle.com/montgomery-police/ . Residents can register to receive messages by sending a text message with their zip code to 888777 (data rates may apply depending on your plan).
- NJ State Police on Nixle Connect: http://local.nixle.com/new-jersey-state-police/
- Montgomery Twp email notifications, Sign-up at: www.twp.montgomery.nj.us
- PSE&G: Sign up for MyAlerts at https://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/myalerts/index.jsp so you may receive updates by text and report outages by texting “Out” to 4PSEG. “Like” PSEG on Facebook or follow on Twitter @PSEGdelivers.
- Montgomery Twp on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InMontgomeryNJ
- Montgomery Twp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/InMontgomeryNJ(There is also List of recommended emergency Info sources to follow on Montgomery’s Twitter page)
- MontgomeryText Alerts via SMS without Twitter Account: Text the words ‘Follow InMontgomeryNJ’ to 40404
- Somerset County on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SomersetCountyNJ
- Somerset County on Twitter: www.twitter.com/SomersetCntyNJ
- Somerset County emergency alerts (Nixle): http://www.co.somerset.nj.us/about/emergency-alerts
- Somerset County email notifications: http://www.co.somerset.nj.us/about/email-subscriptions
- NJOEM on Facebook: www.facebook.com/READYNEWJERSEY
- NJOEM on Twitter: www.twitter.com/READYNJ
- NJ Alert NJ Alert is a free, voluntary and confidential emergency alerting system that allows NJ Office of Emergency Management officials to send E-mail or text messages to cell phones, and other email enabled devices during an emergency event. Sign up for NJ Alert by logging on to: www.njalert.gov
- WEA/CMAS (Wireless Emergency Alerts / Community Mobile Alert System) This nationwide system is now being employed for Amber Alerts and by the National Weather Service to transmit weather Warnings (but not Watches) to your cell phone automatically. A warning means the hazard is imminent; a watch means conditions are favorable for the hazard to occur. Your cell phone must be WEA (Wireless Emergency Alert) enabled to receive these messages and your carrier must be a participant. (See FCC info on CMAS & list of carriers in Excel). There is an opt-out option, but we recommend that you do not opt-out of receiving these messages. Read about WEA alerts here: http://www.fema.gov/frequently-asked-questions-wireless-emergency-alerts or http://www.nws.noaa.gov/com/weatherreadynation/wea.html#.VfmMaRFVhBc
On the Web: Use credible websites to get information about natural hazards and emergency preparedness. The Office of Emergency Mgt. works closely with the National Weather Service and the National Hurricane Center regarding storm predictions and forecasts.
- National Weather Service http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/
- National Hurricane Center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- New Jersey Office of Emergency Management www.ready.nj.gov
- Montgomery Twp. Website : www.twp.montgomery.nj.us
- Montgomery Twp. School District Website : www.mtsd.k12.nj.us (closing info)
- PSE&G Outage Center Webpage : https://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/outage_info/index.jsp or map at http://outagecenter.pseg.com/external/default.html or
NOAA Weather Radio: NOAA Weather Radio is a nationwide network of radio stations broadcasting continuous weather information directly from the nearest National Weather Service Office. NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts official Weather Service warnings, watches, forecasts and other hazard information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. NOAA Weather Radios are typically inexpensive, easily available in stores and can often be programmed for your specific area.
TV & Radio — Monitor these sources as well to stay informed of breaking news and continued coverage of emergency events. Some local radio stations include WPRB-103.3FM Princeton, WCTC-1450AM New Brunswick, NJ101.5 FM Trenton, and WPST 97.5FM Princeton.